Studied at Ostrava Conservatoire in the class of P. Bohuš. After he graduated from at the Academy of Performing Arts in Prague (with V. Mareš). In years 1996-1997, he attended the Guildhall School of Music and Drama in London with T. King and J. Farrall. In 1999, he spent three months in residency at the State Conservatory of Rimsky-Korsakov in Saint Petersburg with V. Bezrutchenko and in 2003-2004 he studied at Hochshule für Musik in Berlin with F. Benda.
He successfully participated in many international competitions: 2004 „Premio Valentino Bucchi“ Roma / 1st Prize, 2002 Prague Spring / 3nd Prize, 2001 XIV. International Music Competition "Pacem in terris" Bayreuth / 2nd Prize, 1999 International Clarinet Competition Ostende, Belgium / 1st Prize, 1997 VII. International Clarinet Competition Dos Hermanas, Seville, Spain / 3nd Prize.
During his career up to now, he has given concerts not only in the Czech Republic, but also in many countries in Europe, USA and China. He has performed concertos not only of standard repertoire as Mozart or Weber but also concertos by Francaix, Nielsen, Copland, Penderecki etc. with orchestras as Prague Philharmonia, Czech Chamber Orchestra, Talich Chamber Orchestra, Belgrade Philharmonic. Karel Dohnal also regularly engages in chamber music, cooperating with Haas, Talich, Stamitz Quartets, Prague wind quintet and others. He is a member of Prague Clarinet Quartet and Trio Amadeus.
Last but not least, he intensively studies and performs contemporary music. His doctorate was focused on contemporary clarinet techniques. Regularly gives masterclases both in Czech and abroad. He has numerous recordings in Czech Radio and on CD’s. Karel plays on Selmer Recital clarinets and is an Selmer official artist. Since 2007 plays on Rico Reserve reeds and is an Rico endorsee.
This season include Francaix, Mozart, Weber, Bruch, Teml and Stochl concertos with Prague Chamber Orchestra, Moravian Philharmonic, Talich Chamber Orchestra, South Czech philharmonic and others. Concerts and masterclases in Czech Republic, Hungary, Germany, UK, USA, Russia etc.
Competitions and prizes
• „Premio Valentino Bucchi“ Rome 2004 – 1st prize
• 54st International clarinet competition Prague Spring 2002 - 3rd prize and laureate prefix
• XIV. International music copmetition „Pacem in terris“ Bayreuth 2000 - 2nd prize
• Young Artist Competition of International clarinet association in Ostende, Belgium 1999 – 1st prize
• Interpreting competition in Chomutov, Czech republic 1997 – 2nd prize
• „ACT“ international music competiton in London 1997 – 1st prize and absolut winner
• VII. International clarinets competiotion Dos Hermanas - Sevilla, Spain 1997 - 3rd prize (1st prize not confered)
• International clarinets competiotion „Jeuness Musicaless“ Bělehrad 1997 – finalist and prize for the best interpretation obligation composition
• Interpreting competition in Chomutov, Czech republic 1994 – 2nd prize
• Competition of conservatories – Kromeriz, Czech republic 1994 – 1st prize and absolut winner from wood wind instruments
• Interpreting competition of ministry of culture in Chomutov, Czech republic 1992 – certificate of menit
• Competition of conservatories– Roudnice nad Labem, Czech republic 1992 – 3rd prize
* Next Karel Dohnal won prizes of B. Martinů from Mlade podium, prize of B. Martinů and prize of A. Berg for the best interpretation in the summer academy in Semering, Austria.